A-Camp May 2014 was our longest A-Camp yet but the time flew right by! We split into kingdoms and battled it out in a fierce, prank-filled, week-long rainbow wars extravaganza, bisected by our first ever Rennigaysance Faire. We enjoyed the company of media superstars Hannah Hart and Amy York-Rubin, comedian Elicia Sanchez, musician Mal Blum and special guest staff members Aja of "Fit for a Femme" and AB Chao of the AB Chao Design Camp. We witnessed the birth of the A-Camp/Autostraddle QTPOC Speakeasy and put together our very-first all-camp 'zine. We made bowties, wrote songs, danced like Beyoncé, sang along to Buffy, frolicked in onesies and talked about activism, mental illness, parenting, interracial relationships, queer safe sex, mixed-race identities, bisexuality, hummus, non-monogamy and so much more. Most memorably of all, of course, was the wedding of Bren and Carrie — after 19 years together, A-Camp staffer Bren and her beloved said "I do" atop Mount Feelings, surrounded by 300 of the world's spiffiest queers. Plus, everybody made a flower crown.
Read about May 2014 Camp:
- Introducing Camp Autostraddle 5.0
- Mal Blum Is Coming to A-Camp and So Are These Other Amazing Humans!
- 26 Special Ways You Described Yourself When Registering For A-Camp
- Playlist: OMG A-Camp Is In Four Weeks
- Carrie and Bren’s Great Big Lesbian Wedding With 300 Queers On A Mountaintop
- OPEN THREAD: A-Camp 5.0 Happened So Now Let’s Talk About How Much We Miss Each Other
- Straddler On The Street (Who Was Once on the Mountain): Chelsea Is Really Well-Dressed
- A-Camp 5.0 Recamps Part One: Started From The Bottom, Now We’re Queer
- A-Camp Recamp 5.0 Part Two: Let’s Get Knighted In A Flower Crown
- A-Camp 5.0 Recamps Part Three: Can I Get A F*ck Yeah