A-Camp May 2015 was our most triumphant A-Camp yet. We split into counties and exchanged friendly fire leading up to our last-day State Fair event, which involved pie-eating, arm-wrestling, Hey Girl Hay rides, a String Cheese & Boxed Wine tasting, magic shows, Feminist Beer History and swing dancing.
We were blessed by the presence of actress and DIY Queen Jasika Nicole, lip-synced and laughed our asses off with new media superstars Kristin Russo and Dannielle Owens-Reid of Everyone is Gay, sang about our feelings with musicians Julia Nunes, Jenny Owen Youngs and Mal Blum, cracked up until we cried for comedians Brittani Nichols, Deanne Smith and Elicia Sanchez and got an inside look at our Poussey with Orange is the New Black writer Lauren Morelli. Our A-Camp Family Band has never been better, especially with the addition of (former Miss Kentucky) Djuan Trent.
We saw the A-Camp/Autostraddle QTPOC Speakeasy blossom, did a three-day writing workshop, learned Sciency Bar Tricks, crafted witch-craft style, sang along to Selena, chair-danced with Kaylah, made kinker toys, 'zines, suspenders, collar pins, leather wristbands and three-ingredient gin cocktails; wrote letters to incarcerated queer & trans people, mapped our Queer Desires, learned community care and so much more.
Read about May 2015 Camp:
- Introducing Camp Autostraddle 6.0
- 47 Truly Fantastic Ways You Described Yourselves When Registering For A-Camp 2015
- OPEN THREAD: A-Camp Was So Amazing We Can Hardly Believe It Was Real
- VIDEO: Djuan Trent Feelin' Herself at A-Camp Will Give You All The Mountain Feels
- A-Camp 6.0 Recamps Part One: We Get By With A Little Help From Our New Friends
- A-Camp 6.0 Recamps Part Two: I’m A Jenny In A Bear Suit, Baby